Sunday, November 8, 2015

Speaking Out and Remembering

Loss of any kind has such a stigma attached to it.
If we speak out too much, we're not "healing."
I think that in order to heal, we HAVE to speak out.

I know so many people who have suffered the loss of a baby years ago, who were never allowed to talk about their children. They were encouraged to have another child as soon as possible, to "forget."

Despite a doctor's advice, I got pregnant very quickly after the loss of my first daughter. I never spoke about her because it "wouldn't help me heal."I gave birth to my living daughter exactly a year after her big sister died.

Having another child, while it was a beautiful experience, didn't make that initial grief go away. It festered somewhere under the surface, until it all exploded out in a horrible argument with my husband. It's an argument that I wish I could take back, but it helped me to see the light:

I wasn't "done" grieving yet. In fact, I had hardly begun.

Riley Grace would be 10 this year.

Her sister, my living daughter, Ella is 9.

I'm still not "done."

I'm still healing.

Chances are, you've lost someone dear to you.

A husband. A  wife. A parent. A child.

Chances are you're not "done" grieving yet, either.

And that's all right.

Grief is a process, with no time limit.
Healing is a process, too.

It's my hope that this blog becomes a safe place for those touched by loss.

It's my dream to help others, whether it's by offering free remembrance pieces, or simply by being a sounding board, a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on.

So, please.

Share your stories. Tell me about your loved ones.

Speak out and Remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment